“So, what is it you do?”
People have been asking that question of me for as long as I can remember. Most of the time, I have a hard time describing it to someone who has a ‘straight’ job.
How do you describe the life of a freelancer?
You go from place to place in a vagabond way, working on a project until it’s completed and then moving on. We are the gypsies of the workforce.
Here I am now at work, it’s almost 1:30 in the morning. The office is quiet, there are people here but, they’re sputtering. Me, I’m just annoyed I missed the last train.
There’s something about that last train out of Grand Central, there’s a certain finality about it. Grand Central which is a place of great activity throughout the day is deserted as people make their way desperate to catch the final train out. You get a small sense of what those people felt like when they were trying to get out of Saigon (or some other such place).
Also, those last train of the night conductors, my but they’re a rare breed. One guy in particular has the most annoying nasal whine, “Yoonnnkkkeeerrrss... station stop is Yooonnnkkkeeerrrrsss!”
I often thought it was purposefully grating if only to make you stay awake and not miss your stop.
Here it is a Monday and all I can think about is all the stuff I have to do, that’s the problem with working, it distracts you from getting your s**t done.
No comments:
Post a Comment